Since 1897, generation after generation has celebrated life’s milestone moments with Jostens. From a preschooler’s graduation cap, to a high school student’s class ring and yearbook, to a pro athlete’s championship ring, the stories behind these milestones have come to define us all.
With the arrival of a new CEO, we were engaged to help understand the relationship Jostens had with its independent rep organizations, as well as with various customer segments, including students, parents, and high school principals and yearbook advisors. We began this initiative by doing qualitative interviews with each of these segments, and then fielding quantitative research. Finally, we developed insights into each segment in order to understand their underlying needs and motivations.
Next, due to Jostens experiencing continued pressure on Yearbook buying rates within high schools over the last number of years, we were engaged to help launch a new Yearbook product with the digital capacity to increase individual student coverage in the Yearbook experience.
In order to successfully introduce this new Yearbook into the marketplace, we were engaged by Jostens leadership to build a strong relationship with 9th to 12th-grade students. We began with qualitative interviews with students to understand how they related to Yearbooks in general, as no branded Yearbooks existed. We also fielded qualitative research with High School Principals and Yearbook Advisors. We then fielded quantitative research with students surrounding the qualitative research, as well as around the new Yearbook concept. We then identified the future target students, based on insights into their underlying needs and motivations. Lastly, we determined how we wanted the new Yearbook brand to evolve in the future, and created an emotional Brand Promise that was compelling, believable and distinct, in order to drive growth consistent with their Business Strategy.
We then guided initial implementation of the new Yearbook Brand Strategy into the marketplace, including naming the new product Yearbook+, creative development, etc.
Our next engagement focused on developing Brand Strategies for the Jostens Consumer brand, Jostens School brand and the Jostens Rep Brand. We began by reviewing qualitative research and then fielding quantitative research for each of the 3 brands. We then identified the underlying needs and motivations for each of the 3 Targets, and turn, created a compelling, believable and distinct Brand Promise for each of the 3 brands.
Once again, we guided initial implementation, including creative development, of the 3 Brand Strategies into the marketplace.
- John Bibeault, GM and VP High School Scholastics
- Michael Burgess, CEO
- Phillip Campbell, Sr. School Outreach Marketing Manager
- Ann Carr, CMO
- Matthew, Clark, Director Sales Strategy, Yearbook
- Todd Depperschmidt, Director National Sales Scholastic
- Steve Killen, VP Sales, College
- Peter Lai, Chief Digital Officer
- Amanda Lillemoe, Senior Yearbook Marketing Manager
- Amy Mathews, Yearbook Marketing Specialist
- Jeff Peterson, VP Enterprise Marketing
- Shannon Mattson, Sales Operations Director, Yearbook
- Rick Medeiros, VP Digital Marketing & eCommerce
- Chris Poitras, GM and VP College and Pro Sports
- Kelly Rezansoff, VP Enterprise Customer Care
- Sara Sausker, Senior Customer Experience Manager
- Joel Smith, Scholastic Sales Operations Director
- Derek Warner, Yearbook Marketing Specialist
- Tammy Whitaker, GM and VP High School Yearbook
- Mike Wolf, VP Marketing