S.C. Johnson acquired Soy Basics, the largest manufacturer of soy candles in the USA, in order to capitalize on the increased consumer acceptance of soy-based products. This growth will be leveraged by expanding S.C. Johnson’s reach into new channels and new aisles, with new benefits to consumers from the Soy Inspirations brand.
The initial focus of the Business Strategy was to become the market leader in soy candles, while continuing to grow the market. This would be accomplished by marketing Soy Inspirations as a premium candle brand available in the Gift / Home Decor aisle in Food/Drug/Mass (FDM) channels.
We guided a cross-functional team, including multiple agencies, in developing a Brand Strategy that would build a strong relationship with target consumers. We began with significant qualitative and quantitative research to understand how consumers related to soy and non-soy candle brands today. We then identified the target consumer, based on insights into their underlying needs and motivations. Lastly we created the Soy Inspirations brand and an emotional Brand Promise that was compelling, believable and distinct to drive growth consistent with the Business Strategy.
- Bryan Olson, Vice President of Marketing and Sales, Soy Basics
- A.J. Aumock, Director of Marketing, Soy Basics
- Don Rudolph, National Sales Manager, Soy Basics
- John Peters, Marketing Research Director – New Air Care Ventures, SC Johnson
- Scott Gamble, Senior Manager, Kalypso
- Peter Boosalis, Founder, BrandOptix
- Patrick Hunt, President/CEO, Hunt Adkins
- Doug Adkins, Chief Creative Officer, Hunt Adkins
- Josh Smerick, Director of Strategic Planning, Hunt Adkins