TDK has its roots in audio recording media. Over the years, it has gained a reputation as an innovator for the highest quality recording media in analog audio and video tape, in digital optical disks, and most recently, in Blu-ray technology.
Imation’s Business Strategy was to transform from a “Removable Data Storage Media Company” to a “Brand and Product Management Company,” and move from an equal balance of commercial and consumer to primarily a consumer business. This made it necessary to define the TDK brand’s role within their global consumer brand portfolio, which included Imation, Memorex, and HP optical media.
We guided a cross-functional global team and multiple agencies in developing a Brand Strategy to build a strong relationship with target consumers. Critical to this was understanding the future volume and profit expectations on a regional and global basis.
We began by mining significant qualitative and quantitative research to understand how consumers related to TDK, other Imation brands, and competitive brands today. We then identified the target consumer, based on insights into their underlying needs and motivations. Lastly, we determined how we wanted the brand to evolve in the future, and then created an emotional Brand Promise that was compelling, believable and distinct to drive global growth consistent with their Business Strategy.
- Brad Allen, Vice President, Investor Relations, Imation Corp.
- Tren Blankenship, Interactive and Design Manager, E-Business, Imation Corp.
- Steve Bradley, Director, Strategic Growth Programs, Imation Corp.
- Jim Browning, President and Chief Operating Officer, TDK Americas
- Andrew Burrows, Marketing Communications Manager, TDK Europe
- Kip Cardelli, Manager, Human Resources, Imation Corp.
- Jean-Paul Eekhout, Corporate Strategy Director, TDK Europe
- Kazunobu Kotani, General Manager, Consumer Products Business Unit, Imation Japan
- Amanda Marini, Specialist, Marketing Communications, Imation Corp.
- Masayuki Minami, Manager, Advertising & Promotion Division, TDK Japan
- Wayne Newton, Sales Manager, Imation Corp.
- Steve Moss, Vice President, Chief Marketing Officer, Imation Corp.
- Steve Schulz, Insights Manager, Imation Corp.
- Bruce Youmans, Vice President, Product Research & Development, TDK Americas
- Michael Brewer, Executive Vice President, Brodeur
- Mariann Hohe, Vice President, Strategy and Client Service, Nelson Henry
- Larry Lubin, President, Lubin Lawrence
- Paul Nelson, President, Nelson Henry
- Jan Schminke, Designer, Essential