Set in a vibrant neighborhood at the heart of the Twin Cities, Augsburg University offers more than 50 undergraduate majors and nine graduate degrees to nearly 3,500 students of diverse backgrounds. The trademark of an Augsburg education is its emphasis on direct, personal experience. Guided by the faith and values of the Lutheran church, Augsburg educates students to be informed citizens, thoughtful stewards, critical thinkers, and responsible leaders.
The Augsburg University Athletic Department is a member of the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (MIAC) and in the NCAA Division III. It has a rich legacy of outstanding athletes and teams, including many All Americans and National Championships.
The leadership of the Athletic Department engaged us to develop a Brand Strategy that would fuel their Business Strategy, including leveraging the largest capital campaign in their history – a recently completed $50 million campaign for the Hagfors Center for Science, Business, and Religion.
We guided athletic directors, coaches and sports information directors in developing a Brand Strategy to build a strong relationship with target student-athletes. We began by interviewing current and potential student-athletes to understand how they related to the Augsburg Athletic Department and competitive college athletic department brands. We then identified the target student-athlete, based on insights into their underlying needs and motivations. Lastly, we determined how we wanted the brand to evolve in the future, and created an emotional Brand Promise that was compelling, believable and distinct to drive growth consistent with overall Athletic Department Business Strategy.
Next we worked with leadership in developing a plan to implement the Brand Strategy throughout all aspects of the Athletic Department, including recruiting, marketing and communications, etc., and ensuring consistency with the strategies of the college overall.
- Keith Bateman, Head Baseball
- Jane Becker, Head Volleyball, HPE
- Chris Brown, Head Men’s Hockey, HPE
- Kelly Anderson Diercks, Assoc. Athletic Dir./Compliance
- Tim Gormley, Head Softball, Concessions
- Aaron Griess, Head Men’s Basketball, Asst. AD
- Frank Haege, Head Football
- Greg Holker, Head Soccer, Edor Nelson Field
- Jennifer Jacobs, Asst. AD, Asst. Volleyball
- Kathryn Knippenberg, Head Women’s Lacrosse
- Melodie Lane, Athletics Business Mgr./Prog. Coordinator
- Melissa Lee, Asst. AD, Softball, Academic
- Michelle McAteer, Head Women’s Hockey
- Jim Moulsoff, Head Wrestling/Fitness Center
- Mike Navarre, Head Women’s Soccer, HPE
- Meghan Peyton, Head Cross Country
- Ted Riverso, Head Women’s Basketball
- Ryan Rasmussen, Strength and Conditioning
- Don Stoner, Sports Information Director
- Jeff Swenson, Athletic Director
- Troy Valek, Asst. Wrestling, SAAS
- Steve Webb, Head Women’s Swimming