The Sportsman’s Guide (TSG), founded in 1970, is an online and catalog retailer who provides avid sportsmen (deer hunter, sport shooter, and military surplus enthusiast) with everyday low prices and ever-changing closeout deals on outdoor products.
Having recently been acquired by Northern Tool + Equipment, we were engaged to guide development of their Strategic Vision and Brand Strategy. In addition to understanding significant existing customer and industry research, we fielded both quantitative and qualitative customer research.
The Strategic Vision included creating a detailed current and future profile of all aspects of the company, including: business concept, driving force, customers, brand, products, geography, marketing and promotion, organizational structure, culture, financial performance, etc. And, finally, to determine the Critical Issues on which the company must focus to achieve the Strategic Vision were identified.
The objective of a Brand Strategy is to create a Brand Promise that, when effectively expressed in the marketplace, will result in profitable organic growth, i.e., more customers buying more TSG products and services more often.
We began by using the quantitative and qualitative customer research to deepen our understanding of their relationship with TSG and competitive brands. Next, we uncovered customer’s underlying needs and motivations, and determined how we wanted the TSG brand to evolve in the future. Lastly, we created a Brand Promise that was compelling, believable and distinct in order to drive growth that was consistent with the TSG Strategic Vision.
We then managed an agency search, and guided creative development, for expressing the Brand Strategy into the marketplace.
- Jay Berlin CEO, The Sportsman’s Guide
- Tim Arland – Senior Vice President of e-Commerce
- Dan Delaney – Senior Director of Customer Service & Credit
- Scott Eichstadt – Vice President of Warehouse & Distribution
- Mike Hanson – Vice President of e-Commerce
- Mike Hollenstein – Vice President of Softlines Merchandising
- Doug Johnson – Senior Vice President of Marketing
- Pat Kennedy – Senior VP of Merchandising & Creative Services
- Brian Lehman – Senior Director of Call Center & Mail Order
- Jason Morrison – Senior Director of Rebuying
- Nancy Rastall – Senior Director of Creative Services
- Joe Skwira – CFO/Vice President of Finance
- Matt Sullivan – Vice President of Marketing
- Joel Takkinen – Vice President of Hardlines Merchandising
- Lori Talafous – Vice President of Human Resources
- Todd Wermerson – CIO/Senior Vice President of Information Systems
- Chuck Albrecht – President & CEO, Northern Tool & Equipment
- Wade Kotula – Owner, Northern Tool & Equipment
- Scott Wier President, C Wenger Group