FC Dallas, originally known as the Dallas Burn and a charter member club of Major League Soccer (MLS), was purchased in 2002 by Hunt Sports Group.
While the franchise had initial success, in recent years there has been a lack of a clear and consistent communication to, and experience for, fans: including the changes in name, ownership, coaches, marketing and stadium locations. These issues, together with more international soccer games being shown on cable TV, and the downturn in the US economy, resulted in a weak brand relationship with fans which manifested itself in low attendance and weak fan affinity.
With Hunt Sports Group committed to their growth plans, FC Dallas management realized the need to develop a Brand Strategy that would identify a sustainable fan base with whom they could build a long-term relationship.
In 2009 we guided a cross-functional team through significant qualitative and quantitative research from MLS and FC Dallas in order to understand soccer fans, and how they related to FC Dallas and competitor brands today. We then identified a new segment of fans, based on insights into their underlying needs and motivations. Next, we determined how we wanted the brand to evolve in the future, and created an emotional Brand Promise that was compelling, believable and distinct in order to drive growth with fans, corporate sponsors and the broader Dallas community that was consistent with the Business Strategy.
We then guided creative development and plans for marketplace implementation of the Brand Strategy with their internal resources and an outside agency we helped select.
In 2015 we were engaged to understand how the FC Dallas brand had evolved over the last 5 years and to identify the implications on sustaining growth moving forward. Once again, we led a cross-functional team that included leaders of FC Dallas and MLS through significant qualitative and quantitative research and workshop sessions that ensured the future brand would fuel the business strategy moving forward.
2009 Engagement with:
- Clark Hunt, Chairman, Hunt Sports Group
- Dan Hunt, Vice President, Hunt Sports Group
- John Wagner, President, Hunt Sports Group
- Kelly Weller, Vice President of Sales & Marketing
- Charlie Seraphin, Senior VP Sales/Marketing, Hunt Sports Group
- Damon Boettcher, CFO/VP of Operations FC Dallas and PHP
- Ryan Petkoff, PR/Media Relations, Hunt Sports Group
- Shellas Hyndman, Head Coach
- Nick Shafer, Director of Ticket Operations
- Kris Katseanas, Director of Ticket Sales
- James Burda, Director of Corporate Sales
- Eduardo Carvacho, Hispanic Marketing and Sales Director
- Bucky Deichart, Stadium Operations Director
- Andrea Myers, Community Relations/Foundation Director
- Bobby Rhine, Manager Community Development
- Justin McCord, Interactive Services Manager
- Michael Cruz, Manager of Event Presentation
- Evan Mitz, Ticket Sales Rep
- Jose Lizardo, Ticket Sales Rep
- Crystal Browning, Marketing/PR Coordinator
2015 Engagement with:
- Dan Hunt – Owner/President
- Jimmy Smith – CFO
- Robyn Moroso – Executive Assistant To President
- Robert Rardin – Senior Director Of Marketing and Event Presentation
- Kris Katseanes – Vice President of Ticket Sales and Service
- Matt McInnis – Vice President of Business Development & Partnership Marketing
- Cesar Velasco – Senior Director of International Marketing & Communications
- Megan Miller – Senior Director of Partnership Marketing
- Melissa Jannetta – Director of Business Development
- Leigh Anne Gullett – Director of Public Relations
- Melissa Reddick – Director of Foundation & Community Relations
- Tim Henning – Director of Merchandising
- Erik Davila – Creative Director
- Olivia Brestal – Graphic Design Coordinator
- Aaron Griffin – Multimedia Manager
- Alan Ficek – Director of Event Presentation
- Daniel Robertson – Digital Content and Social Media Manager